Monday, August 9, 2010

The story of Metamorphosis

Today, I am going to do a common entry for this blog and my more depressed blog. Basically coz I believe everyone, no matter how optimistic, will have their days down. So why do I have to hide the fact that I'm down? It's my human right.


Have you ever admired how butterflies flock from flowers to flowers with their beautiful wings flapping in the sky? (Never mind if you have butterfly-phobia...) As agents of pollination, they help turn flowers to fruits so that the plant continue to survive and reproduce and the world will be a big nice garden for us all.

Now here's the childhood/secondary school era story about the butterfly. There was one little boy who kept  his pet caterpillar for the sake of watching it turn into a beautiful butterfly. He watched it grew, turned into a pupa and all. But one fine day, he was watching how the would-be butterfly struggle out of its cocoon. "Oh let's help it", so he thought, and went to aid the butterfly get out of its cocoon with the snip of his scissors. The butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with shriveled wings.

Here's the catch. The butterfly is supposed to struggle so that it can fully develop its wings and get the fluid out of its swollen body so that it can take flight.

I thought of how we are so preoccupied about our million distractions in life and anxious about getting the job done, we forgot how it was the process and journey that mattered most.
Struggle is a precursor to growth. Yes, I may not be the best, but I will try hard to be the best that I can be. Call this self-consolation whichever, I don't give a f*ck.

To turn from pupa to adult is no easy feat for the butterfly. I don't see why in this complex society we create for ourselves, turning adult is any easier. Age doesn't turn you into an adult. It's the Social Identity and who we are; it's the Solidarity and integration into the society; it's the Intimacy and seeking for the special one (at least according to my favourite Erik Erikson's developmental theory).


But here's an irony and what I reckon is the reason behind stunted struggle attempts of fresh grads and source of office politics for the others in pursuit to climb the corporate ladder.
The saying goes:
Give me a fish, you've only fed me for today. Teach me to fish, and you've fed me for a lifetime. 
But of course there's a crucial part the author forgot:
Teach me to fish, and there's lesser fish to go around and we may both go hungry. 

Cruel reality of demand and supply huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment